Thursday, July 10, 2008

a jacked up situation (or, a legal form of distortion)

I was in an accident back in May (you can read an earlier post about it - describes the situation). Because I rear-ended someone in an accident that I did not cause, the British Government has decided that it would be a good idea to give me two choices: pay almost $500 to attend a two-day safe driving course (and two weeks after attending the course, leave England for good as scheduled) or be prosecuted for “Driving without Due Care” of other drivers.

This accident was not my fault. How can the British Government, in all its splendor, actually get away with this? I am, of course, fighting it as best I can. But how much can I really do? I did not cause the accident - someone who pulled out in front of someone else and then immediately drove off caused it (kind of like a hit-and-run, only not actually hitting anyone - just causing the hit and running). So why am I being prosecuted? They say there is “sufficient evidence” to prosecute me. What evidence? I was never given a ticket (or “citation” as they say over here), and there wasn’t any evidence to speak of. My statement matched the statement of the guy I hit almost exactly… so what’s the issue?

I talked to the person who schedules the Safe Driving courses, and she said that maybe the person I hit received the same type letter. Again I ask you - in what world does that make sense? Two victims possibly being prosecuted! It’s insane.

There’s got to be some way to speak out against this to keep it from happening to other American drivers over here in England.

No comments: