Wednesday, February 13, 2008

the Giant is not a Giant anymore...

There's something amazingly refreshing about winning a "fight" when you know that what you stand for is right. The individuals I was fighting against are people I've been fighting against for most of my career. Well, they symbolize all of those people anyway. I can't go into the specifics of what went on, but let me tell you that I fought the good fight (as short-lived as it was). I was indeed stuck between a rock and a hard place. It seemed like no one would take up my side with me. I thought I was going to have to face this Giant alone.

Boy was I wrong.

I knew what I had to do, but I almost let people make me feel bad for choosing to do what I know is right. These people seemingly tried to use their status to bully me into doing what they wanted me to do. All the while making it look like the decision they told me they wanted me to make would be my own.

Today I became a conqueror. Maybe not in a HUGE sense, but in a sense that even the little guy can win sometimes. I am that little man - and I am a conqueror because of it. Not only was I right, but everyone else agreed with me (but I didn't know that at the time).

Now, I don't want to make it sound like I'm infallible or that I think too highly of myself... I'm not and I definitely don't. But the freedom that comes from making the right decision, and to having people back you up, is amazing.

Why are we so afraid to stand up against those we think are better than us? Maybe not better, but those that we perceive to control our collective fates? I've always been afraid to stick up for myself towards certain people, to stand up for something I know is right (but only towards those same certain people). As it turns out, these people make bad decisions, too. Somehow, knowing that (and being directly effected by that) makes it so much easier to stand up when I have to.

I don't know - maybe this isn't making any sense. Maybe this will inspire some of you to make decisions that are in the wings, waiting to be made. Maybe knowing that someone as small as myself, as seemingly insignificant in this huge game called life can make a difference will help.

I just wanted to share my elatedness with you... thanks for sharing in my joy.

No comments: